Home » Parents & Carers

Parents & Carers

Are you a Parent or Guardian?

This part of the website is for ‘Parents’ and ‘Carers’, including anyone with , Children’s relatives, friends and neighbours who need information or advice.


If you are suspicious or have any concerns that a Child is suffering or is likely to suffer , including any form of mistreatment or abuse, see Reporting Concerns.

If you are concerned about your own behaviour, or require additional support please contact the Front Door for Families on 01273 290400:


Affected or Involved?

If you or someone close to you, has been involved in a , see The Referral Process.

Parental Responsibility means all the duties, powers,responsibilities and authority which a parent has by law in relation to a child. Parental Responsibility diminishes as the child acquires sufficient understanding to make his or her own decisions. A childs mother always holds Parental Responsibility, as does the father if married to the mother. Parental responsibility can be acquired by Court Order, for example a Residence Order or Special Guardianship Order. As well as an unmarried father, a step parent or a parents civil partner can apply for a Parental Responsibility Order under section 4 of the Children Act 1989.
Significant Harm is any Physical, Sexual, or Emotional Abuse, Neglect, accident or injury that is sufficiently serious to adversely affect progress and enjoyment of life. Harm is defined as the ill treatment or impairment of health and development.
A Child Protection Enquiry (usually referred to as a Section 47 Enquiry) is required if there are reasonable grounds to suspect that a child is suffering or is likely to suffer Significant Harm. This normally occurs after an Initial Assessment and a Strategy Discussion/Meeting.