Home » Reporting Concerns

Reporting Concerns

Worried about a child?

If you suspect or believe a child is suffering or is likely to suffer , including any form of mistreatment or abuse, or if you are concerned about your own behaviour and need advice or support – please contact the Front Door for Families (previously the MASH):

Front Door for Families
C/O Whitehawk Community Hub and Library
179A Whitehawk Road
Tel: (01273) 290400
E-mail: FrontDoorForFamilies@brighton-hove.gov.uk


You can also use the Online Referral Form to make a Child Protection Referral to the Front Door for Families


Children & Young People at Risk of CSE

If you are making a referral for a child or young person who is at risk of Child Sexual Exploitation you may want to provide additional information to assist the assessment using the Pan Sussex MACSE (SERAF) form. This is not mandatory so please do not let it delay making a referral.


Emergency/Out of Hours

To contact Children’s Services outside normal working hours, call 01273 335905.

If a child is in immediate danger or left alone, you should contact the police or call an Ambulance (Call 999).

The police operator will need to take your name, address and details of what has happened. This will take time, but it is important to get all of the information from you so that we can send the appropriate resources to you if necessary.


Designated Professionals Brighton & Hove

Designated Doctor Safeguarding Children: 01273 238703
Designated Nurse Safeguarding Children: 01273 01273 238703 / 07770 381421
Brighton & Hove Police Child Protection Team: 101 (and ask for Brighton SIU)


Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO)

call 01273 295643


Allegations about a Colleague/Professional

If your concerns or suspicions are about a colleague or professional/carer (including volunteers), you must report them.

Talk to a Manager or Designated Professional, assuming they aren’t implicated, if they are, talk to the MASH (contact details above).


Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults

If you are concerned about an adult please contact Access Point on 01273 295555

For more information please see Safeguarding Adults Referrals 

Significant Harm is any Physical, Sexual, or Emotional Abuse, Neglect, accident or injury that is sufficiently serious to adversely affect progress and enjoyment of life. Harm is defined as the ill treatment or impairment of health and development.